Maintaining touchscreens is simple. We recommend using a dry, clean cloth to wipe off dust regularly. Use alcohol for cleaning only when necessary. When other solvents or cleaning agents are used, be sure to follow manufacturers’ instructions.
As the COVID-19 pandemic rages across the globe, cleaning touch panel surfaces for users’ peace of mind has become necessary because the virus can remain viable on surfaces for hours to days. Depending on type and model, AMT has compiled cleaning methods that we will share with you. We recommend carefully using only certain chemicals to clean both AMT projected capacitive (PCAP) and resistive touch panels.
According to US CDC, alcohol and bleach can be used to clean frequently touched surfaces. AMT has a rigorous testing structure for certifying the materials used in our products are suitable in terms of performance, durability, reliability, etc. The touch surface of AMT PCAP and resistive touch panels can withstand both industrial chemicals and household products such as acetone, hexane, laundry detergent, etc.
Ammonia based glass cleaners (typically 5-10% ammonia), 1: 100 bleach: water solution, or 75% alcohol can be used to clean the surface of AMT PCAP and resistive touch panels.
When you clean the surface of your touch panel, please follow these steps:
- Apply cleaning agent (alcohol, bleach, or glass cleaner) to a clean cloth. Make sure the cloth is well saturated.
- Wipe touch panel in a “Z” motion, ensuring the cloth comes into contact with the entirety of the touch panel surface.
- Dry the panel thoroughly with a dry cloth, removing as much of the cleaning solution as possible.
- One more important precaution, do not mix bleach and ammonia because this will produce a dangerous chemical reaction.
- Please do not spray cleaning solution directly onto the touch panel surface.
- Cleaning solutions containing bleach, alcohol, and ammonia are corrosive to touch panel surface coatings and ITO film. So, you should not leave the solution on the touch panel surface for more than 2 minutes. Make sure to remove all residue when finished cleaning.
- Do not use sharp tools to clean the surface of the touchscreen.
- Do not use air guns, water jets, or steam, to clean the surface of touchscreens as they may damage touchscreen functionality.
- If condiments, food, or drinks are spilled on the surface of the touchscreen, please remove them immediately.
- Ensure moisture does not seep through the cable connection area from the edges during cleaning.